Worlds Greatest Grandad!

Friday, April 8, 2011
It was a Saturday afternoon, the atmosphere out was hot, but the breeze was slightly cooler than expected...yet I was perspiring . Blame it on the humidity of  mumbai.. As i was walking, the cell kept ringing at the other end, no one was picking up. I was hoping that someone will pick it up...but no. And I saw the balcony, I wished to see someone out there, but who will stand in the balcony in this hot summer afternoon. anyway...the door was locked, even the curtains were drawn so what do i do..I just climbed the stairs and rang the bell. My uncle opened the door, he looked a little flummoxed. And then said " why didnt you call, dont u know the baby is sleeping , the ringing of the bell...disturbs his sleep"..I said am sorry...but what to do I tried calling, but nobody picked up" ..where are the others. Well he didn't say anything, just went inside and closed the door and I sat on the sofa and realized , he was alone with the little baby, along with the maid. thats it. 


As I rested my head on the sofa, and closed my eyes, small small incidents came into light.  Here's a Grandfather, a robust personality, dedicated, short tempered, has a rolly-polly aura to him. Likes being with himself, wants his space and gives others their space too..But if anyone encroaches his space, then one has to bare his brunt..even the God cant save the other person...hehehehhe. But he also has a wonderful side, a side which is so beautiful, that it would bring tears to anyone who has known him at close quarters. Very warm, caring and loving person, adores his kids and does everything possible to make their life comfortable. 


Here's a man who so willingly took up the responsibility of taking care of his grandson. He does everything, even changing diaper, to singing a lullaby, to taking the baby out, to entertaining the baby, when his own parents are tied up with their work. Putting the baby to sleep is a task and he does it so well...You could just watch him with his grandson, playing with him, making funny noises, getting down on his fours and being a horse to his grandson. Its a sheer delight to watch this grandfather. Once he puts the sleeping baby in the crib, he sits in his chair and looks outside the window,so relaxed and contended with life.


He even cooks food, and even serves when it is required. I know this might not sound surprising, but very few men are made like him in this world. Such dedication is rarely seen. Even parents at times fall short of giving time to their own child. I remember the time, when during my childhood, when we were babies, my mom used to work then, and he used to come early morning at our house, just to keep me and my sis entertained, so my mom could finish the cooking, giving everyone breakfast. 


I could hear a soft tune..more like humming ..coming from across the room, where my uncle was in...It was the same tune, that used to rock me to sleep! It just felt so nice..things haven't changed a bit at all. Still the same feeling of being taken care of. My uncle has been like this since the time I have known him, always there for his family. Rightly said, a family man. Just then he came out, and asked if I did want something to eat or maybe tea or coffee...So warmly. I said will wait for the other family members to come and then will all have it together. He sat in front, looking still sleepy, I think the baby must have been awake for longer time today. He smiled warmly, and said..." in sometime the little one will be awake, so please take the baby for some time."". I simply smiled, yes..would willingly. At this age, he is 70 now... he is doing pretty well, and looks tired,  , sometimes the journey of being responsible for everyone doesn't stop ...it just increases day by day...The love for his grandson, is what makes this Grandad, the greatest I have Known..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers