The Sabudana Khichdi Delight!

Friday, April 15, 2011
Today morning, while reading the newspaper, my mom tapped me on the shoulder and kept the plate on my lap. It was slightly hot, but not much. I kept the paper aside , and looked down to see whats there. Oh!.wow!...what a lovely surprise....my favorite breakfast.   There are some breakfasts that are so tasty n at times spicy too, just the thought of it, makes you happy. Your spirits are lifted UP. You feel the need to have it right now, this moment, that's It!. That's what makes this breakfast the best. Now you might wonder whats this breakfast am talking about. Its the famous maharashtrian "Sabudana (tapioca pearls) Khichdi".

And its not just made during breakfast, sometimes people have it during tea snacks in the evening. My love for sabudana khichdi goes back to my childhood days. Mom used to make this on some Monday mornings, and me and my sister used to look forward to these mornings. Tucking at her saree, we both used to ask for one more helping. Gosh! it feels just like yesterday.  Cant get better than this and sometimes we even used to get this delight on a Sunday morning too.

Its just not the breakfast, the atmosphere at home used to be so lovely. So carefree, so inviting and relaxed. I remember those morning, we used to get everything arranged on the table..lay down the mats with the plates on. Me and my sister used to sit together almost giggling and looking at each other, when mom used to get the big bowl of sabudana khichdi and place it on the table. A large portion was given to each of us. Breakfasts are usually family time together, sipping hot tea along with this sabudana khichdi! Wow! And yes...you should see the faces, the delight used to be shown, somehow everybody looked happy. Even the conversation used to be light and friendly.

I don't know if its because of this khichdi, but I have sensed this feeling of happiness, every time we used to have this khichdi. It used to be a family time, a time of togetherness. and what a way to spend time together , cracking jokes, teasing one another....with a breakfast like this. And yes...tea always goes along with this..The combination is fabulous and I used to end up having one or two more helping of this khichdi myself. By then the tummy used to be so full, that I would get very lazy to do any work..... Cause this sabudana khichdi does make one lethargic...as it contains starch..but I would say still Ok..worth it..Its one of best breakfast you could have.

Every time I have the sabudana khichdi, it makes me nostalgic...would love to share it with all of you!  . 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers